New York's pied-à-terre tax rollout faces its first court test.
Three NYC homeowners filed suit August 7 arguing that DOF put 960,000 names in a public database before determining anyone owed the surcharge, and cannot require residents to disprove a tax the city never proved they owe. Companion post: what co-op and condo owners must do before September 18.
On August 7, 2026, three New York City homeowners filed a lawsuit in Richmond County Supreme Court challenging not the pied-à-terre surcharge itself, but the way the Department of Finance rolled it out. The case, O'Brien v. City of New York, case no. 85217/2026, asks the court to declare the city's 17,000 "you may be subject" notices legally void and to order the removal of the DOF's publicly searchable database listing 960,000 homeowner names and addresses as "potentially related" to the surcharge. The September 18 deadline to prove primary residence remains in effect for every owner who received a notice.
Updated August 11, 2026
This post said, at publication, that no court had issued a stay. That is no longer accurate. On August 10, 2026, Justice Wayne M. Ozzi granted a temporary restraining order, ordering the roll off DOF's website and barring action on the notices. The city served an appeal the same evening, which stayed the order automatically under CPLR §5519(a)(1), and the rollout resumed. Argument is August 31. The September 18 deadline is unchanged and no owner should wait on the litigation. Full account: our August 11 report on the ruling.
What the lawsuit says, specifically.
The plaintiffs are Rachel O'Brien and Carmine Morano, both Staten Island primary residents who say their homes received a DOF notice indicating they were "related to the annual non-primary residence property surcharge," and Simon Hedley, a Chelsea homeowner who received a notice stating his residence "may be subject" to the tax. All three say they live in the units year-round. None received any prior communication from the city establishing that they owed the surcharge before the notice arrived.
The lawsuit is represented by Randy Mastro, who served as First Deputy Mayor under Eric Adams, and names Mayor Zohran Mamdani and Finance Commissioner Richard Lee as defendants. Its core legal argument is procedural: "In rolling out these two notices, the city has arbitrarily and capriciously foisted onto New York City residents the burden of proving they are not subject to the surcharge." The plaintiffs argue that the proper sequence runs the other way: DOF should determine who owes the tax before notifying anyone, not after.
The lawsuit seeks: a declaration that the 17,000 notices are void, a declaration that the 960,000-record online database is unlawful, an order requiring DOF to remove the database from its website, and an order preventing the city from acting on either set of records until it makes actual individual liability determinations.
An administrative-law challenge, not a constitutional one.
This matters for the pied-à-terre coverage so far, most of which conflates two distinct legal fights. Several lawsuits challenge Tax Law Article 30-C itself on constitutional grounds: equal-protection arguments, property-tax uniformity arguments, and an argument that the tax improperly burdens co-op and condo ownership in a way that differs structurally from single-family houses. Those cases argue the legislature wrote a bad statute. The O'Brien lawsuit does not contest the statute. It contests how DOF chose to execute the statute's requirement that it make annual primary-residence determinations.
Under the State Administrative Procedure Act, agency rules and notices must not be arbitrary or capricious. The plaintiffs argue that publishing a searchable database of 960,000 homeowner names before finding any of them liable, and then requiring each to prove they are not, is arbitrary: it distributes public stigma and imposes a filing burden on the many to protect the city from having to first determine who actually owes among the few.
Why the database has 960,000 entries.
The structural explanation for the over-inclusion was diagnosed in the July 31 post in this series. The short version: Real Property Tax Law §581 values co-op and condo buildings as if they were rental properties. DOF derives a "market value" from comparable rents, not from sales prices. The result is a valuation number that is, at the median, roughly 20 percent of what the unit would sell for. The pied-à-terre surcharge threshold for co-op and condo units is $1 million in DOF market value. At a 20 percent ratio, that threshold captures apartments selling for roughly $5 million or above, but neither DOF's database nor the statute uses a sales-price threshold.
Beyond the valuation mismatch, New York has no primary-residence registry. DOF screened for primary residence by looking for buildings enrolled in co-op and condo abatements, owners appearing on NYC resident income tax rolls, and STAR exemption participants. Any unit that lacked those positive signals (including buildings that did not enroll in the abatement, or owners who file income taxes jointly at a different address) appeared on the supplemental roll as a potential pied-à-terre. The city posted 959,710 records on July 24 to identify approximately 13,000 actual pieds-à-terre. The ratio is roughly 74 to 1.
The O'Brien lawsuit accepts those numbers as given. Its argument is not that DOF miscounted, but that distributing a 960,000-name database as the instrument for finding the 13,000 represents an impermissible reversal of which party bears the burden of proof.
What "burden reversal" means in practice for co-op owners.
In ordinary tax administration, the government identifies a taxpayer as liable and that taxpayer may then challenge the determination. The pied-à-terre rollout inverted that process in a specific way for co-op owners. Under Tax Law Article 30-C, the surcharge is assessed against the co-op corporation on the building's aggregate property tax bill. The corporation is the legal taxpayer. Individual shareholders are secondarily subject when they are the non-primary residents inside a building that collectively owes the surcharge.
But the notices were sent not to corporations but to individual shareholders, and they arrived without any prior finding that those shareholders are non-primary residents. A shareholder who received a notice has no record in the DOF system showing they were assessed; they were told they "may be subject." They must then file exemption documentation to clear themselves, using the personalized PIN and portal described in the August 6 post in this series, before September 18. If they do not file, DOF treats them as non-primary residents for tax years 2026-27 and 2027-28.
The O'Brien plaintiffs frame this as an unlawful shift: the city is using individual homeowners as a filter to sort the 960,000-unit database down to the 13,000 who actually owe. The filing process is the city's primary-residence determination, performed by the homeowner at their own effort and risk of penalty if they miss the window.
What the database publication itself means.
Supplemental assessment rolls are public records in New York. DOF made the roll available on its website as a searchable database identifying each of the 959,710 properties and describing them as "related to" the pied-à-terre surcharge. That framing is what the plaintiffs say is unlawful: the roll did not say a unit was assessed, it said the unit was "related to" a surcharge the city had not yet determined the unit owed.
New York's property tax assessment process does produce public rolls: the annual tentative and final assessment rolls are public documents. But those rolls record assessed valuations, not potential liability for a specific tax. The supplemental roll DOF published in this rollout is a different object: it is a list of taxpayers who might owe a specific surcharge, distributed before the city determined any of them do. The lawsuit argues that a searchable public database linking 960,000 homeowner names and addresses to a possible tax they have not been found liable for is a different kind of record, and one that is not authorized by the statute or by the agency's own rules.
What the lawsuit does not affect, for now.
Updated: a temporary restraining order was granted on August 10, 2026 and stayed by the city's appeal the same evening, so as a practical matter nothing below has changed. The September 18 deadline to file for an exemption remains active. For any primary-residence co-op or condo owner who received a notice: the steps required are on this site. Do not wait for the lawsuit to resolve. If the court ultimately voids the notices or orders the city to re-run the rollout, an owner who filed a timely exemption is in no worse position than one who waited. An owner who missed the deadline may be in a substantially worse one.
For co-op boards: nothing in O'Brien alters the coordination obligation described in the August 6 post. The board still needs to identify which shareholders received notices, communicate the September 18 deadline, and establish a collection process for any shareholders who turn out to be non-primary residents. The lawsuit challenges the first rollout. It does not address the annual cycle the statute requires DOF to run every year Tax Law Article 30-C is in effect.
Bottom line.
O'Brien v. City of New York makes a specific administrative-law argument: the government cannot distribute 960,000 homeowner names in a public database labeled "related to" a tax the government has not determined those homeowners owe, and then require each homeowner to file documentation to clear their name. Whether a New York court agrees will turn on how it characterizes the supplemental assessment roll: a neutral data publication the statute requires, or a liability-adjacent notice that triggers the procedural protections that ordinary tax assessments carry. What the lawsuit's factual record establishes regardless of outcome is the mechanism: New York's property tax infrastructure identifies buildings and corporations, not the individual people who live inside them. A tax that turns on individual primary-residence status collides with that infrastructure and produces, as its predictable output, a 960,000-name database built from proxies rather than facts. The absence of a primary-residence registry is not a rollout error. It is the condition the rollout revealed.
Primary sources: O'Brien v. City of New York, case no. 85217/2026 (Richmond County Supreme Court, filed August 7, 2026) · NY Tax Law Article 30-C §§1350–1356 (Part HH, Chapter 59 of the Laws of 2026) · Real Property Tax Law §581 (comparable-rental valuation method for co-ops and condos) · Courthouse News Service, “Mamdani Faces Lawsuit Over Rollout of Pied-à-Terre Tax,” August 7, 2026 · TechTimes, “NYC Pied-à-Terre Lawsuit Demands Court Force City to Prove Who Owes Tax,” August 8, 2026 · Gothamist, “New Lawsuit Slams Mamdani’s Pied-à-Terre Tax for Creating ‘Mass Confusion,’” August 2026
Companion resources: What co-op and condo owners must do before September 18 · Why 959,710 properties appeared on the DOF roll · One shareholder’s unpaid surcharge can lien your entire co-op · How co-op boards collect the surcharge from shareholders · How co-op boards became state tax collectors